B.Sc. (Agriculture ) Degree Programme
Faculty of Agriculture & Plantation Management
Agriculture and Plantation Management graduates of the Wayamba University of Sri Lanka will possess satisfactory multi-disciplinary knowledge on the fundamental concepts, principles, practices and technologies relevant to agriculture, plantation management and the field of specialization; Agricultural Economics & Business, Agricultural Business & Marketing, Biotechnology, Landscape Horticulture, Postharvest Horticulture, Plantation Resource Management, and Plantation Product Development Technology.
They will be able to
- apply this subject knowledge and technological know-how in a holistic manner with innovative management and entrepreneurial perspective to manage agricultural resources and systems and to fulfill the emerging needs of the food production, agribusiness and agro-industry sectors;
- recognize agriculture as a service benefiting the mankind and the environment; and identify the issues, trends and perspectives in agriculture and their impact on national development;
- use enquiry, construct arguments, investigate/ research, critically analyze data, make judgments/ decisions and propose solutions to emerging problems in agriculture, plantation management and allied sectors;
- communicate scientific and other information efficiently and effectively;
- work independently exercising resourcefulness, and collaboratively demonstrating team spirit and professionalism leadership qualities;
- engage in life-long learning and undertake further training to further knowledge and skills;
- behave harmoniously with an appreciation of human and cultural diversity giving due respect for the values of the others, demonstrating professional integrity, ethical behavior and accountability.
Equipped with those attributes they will be ready to work with confidence in academic, research, education and management fields related to agriculture and allied sectors to meet the emerging challenges in the 21st century knowledge based economies.
The duration of the B.Sc. (Agriculture) degree programme at the Wayamba University is 04 years.
Overview of Programme Structure, Content and Options
An academic year consists of two semesters of 15 weeks each and the academic programme is based on course credit system. First and second year course units are devoted to teach basic theory and principles, core requirements in mathematics, physical and life sciences, humanities, social sciences, communication, information technology and management.
In Year 3, the students can select a specialized area of study from any of the four departments which will continue through Year 4. The specialization areas offered by each department are given below.
Department of Agribusiness Management (AB)
- Agricultural Economics & Business
- Agricultural Business & Marketing
Department of Biotechnology (BT)
Department of Horticulture & Landscape gardening (HC)
- Horticulture and Landscape Gardening
- Postharvest Horticulture
Department of Plantation Management (PM)
- Plantation Resource Management
- Plantation Product Development Technology
Course Units Offered in the Study Programme
Core- course units offered in Year 1 and 2, and all core-course units in the Year 1 and 2 of the study programme are compulsory. Also, all course units offered in Semester I and Semester II in Year 3 under each specialization stream are compulsory. In Semester I of Year 4, students have the option of selecting any two course units of their choice amounting to 4 credits from the basket of optional course units along with the compulsory subjects offered by respective departments. After the completion of Year 4 Semester I, the students have to carry out a research project under the supervision of an academic staff member. Semester II of Year 4 is totally devoted for the In-plant Training programme.
Links to course units offered by each department
- Department of Agribusiness Management
- Department of Biotechnology
- Department of Horticulture and Landscape Gardening
- Department of Plantation Management